11.4.12

walking stick




I am in the routine of walking about 3 miles each day and it is a great time of quiet & reflection & enjoying this beautiful place. And the exercise is good.


One of the things about my walks that makes me smile is my walking stick. Here you see me with Joseph's which he lets me use when we are out in the bush. I keep it with me for balance on the uneven ground, and actually for protection, especially from snakes.


Well I have one that I always take on my walks now. Again it is for balance & protection from animals, but it is also my companion. It is like my 'rod' that protects me or my 'staff' that comforts & guides me.








You will almost always see the men in this culture with one, as they walk many miles, and herd animals, and here you see them using it to lean on to rest.


So being a woman and using a walking stick they think of me as a Bibi (pronounced beebee) or grandma, as only old ladies use them. That is ok, I love the smiles I get from them when they see me coming.


I will even bring it on the plane in a couple of weeks, can't be out walking the streets without my companion, wouldn't be right.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love you guys Jane Ann! Love seeing you out there!